|Map of Lanao del Sur with Lumbatan
ROCAYA SUMNDAD OTICAL YAHYA
Today, the municipality of Lumbatan, Lanao del Sur becomes a hundred years old.
It is one of the oldest municipalities of the then lone province of Lanao which is now divided into two — Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur.
It was the Center of Education and Commerce during the American regime in the Philippines. In 1907, the Americans, with their strong advocacy on mass education, established Lanao Agricultural College (LAC), formerly named as Lumbatan Farm School.
Lumbatan is a home to famous Meranao personalities like the late Brig. Gen. Mamarinta Lao, first Meranao General of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, first Military Governor of Lanao and Founder of Lanao del Sur Electric Cooperative; late Datu Mama Busran, first Meranao Justice of the Court of Appeals, and many others.
Comprising 21 barangays, it is a fifth class municipality politically located at the Second Congressional District of Lanao del Sur. It prides itself as having the biggest land area among the municipalities of Lanao del Sur, covering a total land area of 15,830 hectares.